Police Department correspondence
re Old Age Pensions and Invalid Pensions 1908 - 1952
These names are from a partial index to Queensland Police Department correspondence re old age pensions and invalid pensions. The correspondence is mainly about Queenslanders but includes some references to people in New South Wales and Victoria. Details shown in the original source will vary. Sometimes there is only a name, date and place of residence, but often there multiple documents (sometimes as many as thirty pages) that are useful for genealogy. They may include:
- Police replies to requests for documentary evidence of age, residence, immigration etc (required to substantiate a pension application).
- Complaints by pensioners re problems with pension payments.
- Police reports re the death of pensioners.
- Letters from the Department to local police regarding alcohol consumption by pensioners.
- Police investigations re alleged fraud or other criminal activity by a pensioner.
Explanation of names below:
- Date range: 1908 - 1952 (but I've only indexed some of the correspondence).
- A question mark means that handwriting was difficult to decipher, and the spelling is in doubt.
- 'Ref in file, XYZ' means this name is mentioned in correspondence re a person named XYZ.
- 'a.k.a.' means 'also known as'.
- Names beginning with 'Mc' precede other 'M' surnames.
- Apostrophes have been removed from names such as O'DONNELL.
- If there are several entries for a name: the same person may be mentioned several times, or there may be more than one person with the same name. The only way to find out is to consult the original source.
- Scroll through the list. Names may have been spelled incorrectly in the records.
- For names below, I can supply copies of original records (this link leads to instructions).
For more names from other pension records, see Other Suggestions.
List of names
ABEL - (Mr and Mrs)
AH SUN Charlie
AMBRYN Wee Wee ?
ANTHONY S (of Toowoomba)
AOBO Wennie ?
AUSTIN A J
BECK Mary Ann
BELL E A
BELL Elizabeth (of Charters Towers)
BELL J (of Peak Crossing)
BOTTING E M
BRABINER Rose M
BRIAN Jago ?
CANAVAN Harry (a.k.a. HEUSLER)
CHON KONG Charlie
CLARK A (of New Farm)
CLARKE John Palmer
COLEMAN John (of Mackay)
COLLIE - (Mrs)
COLLINS J (of Gympie)
COPLEY Catherine Mary
COWLEY H J
DANGERFIELD L J
DAVIDSON Charley (of Blair Athol)
DAVIDSON John (of Longreach)
DICKSON E A (Mrs)
DUFFY R A
EDWARDS L (of Newmarket)
FARRAR Charles Robert
FINCH Elizabeth (2 files)
GEYSE Gustave Reinhold
GOWER S J
GRAHAM D (of Southport)
HABERMANN Frederick Wilhelm
HARLOVICH - (Mrs)
HARRIS George (of Bundaberg)
HARRIS John Elijah (ref in file, HARRIS David)
HARRIS Thomas (of Rockhampton)
HARROLD J J
HARVEY Dod (ref in file, WARNER Elizabeth)
HARVEY Elizabeth (see WARNER Elizabeth)
HARVEY William (ref in file, WARNER Elizabeth)
HEUSLER Harry (see CANAVAN Harry)
HILL Charles (of Fortitude Valley)
HODGES Henry J
HOOPER Ann L
HORSLEY David Charles
KELLY William Richard
LA FOUR Joe
LOWE William (of Clermont)
LUCAS B L ?
LUCAS Beatrice Lanora
LYNCH Jeremiah (ref in file, LYNCH Daniel)
MARSHALL Robert (of Taringa)
METTHELL Charley ?
MOORE M A (of Woolloongabba)
MOORE Mary Ann
NELSON William (of Rockhampton North)
OBRIEN Thomas (of Beaudesert)
ODONNELL Francis Nicholas
PALMER William Henry
PECK A M
PECK Annie Margaret
PENDLEBURY William Henry ?
POLZIN - (wife of John) (ref in file, GENRICH Ernest)
QUINN James (of Gayndah or Eidsvold)
RAINS F E (ref in file, TAYLOR Robert)
ROWINA Dick (2 files)
RUSSELL John (of Gayndah or Eidsvold)
RYAN Edward (of Longreach)
SAM Dorothy (2 files)
SMITH Susan (2 files)
SOUTH Elwin Egerton
TARRAKA Thomas ?
THOMPSON William (of Charters Towers)
TUMINE William ?
TUNDER Jipo ?
WALSH George (brother of Henry Alfred)
WARD Edward (died 1908)
WARD M (of Toowong)
WARD Mary ?
WATKINS David (multiple files)
WEISE E L
WILLIAMS Billy (of South Kolan)
WILSON I J ?
WOOLFRIES M A
WRIGHT J J (ref in file, WRIGHT Sarah Ann)
WRIGHT Sarah Ann
YASSERIE Serim ?
ZUTTERLAND Charles Joseph
|Copying service. Allow several weeks for a reply (I am often away for family reasons).|
As a professional genealogist, I've spent thousands of hours indexing original records, and it also takes time to travel to a record office, order a bundle, find the relevant pages, order photocopies or take digital photos, and send them to you; so I charge fees for these services:
Option 1: If you want me to copy the original documents, my fee depends on the handling time. If the work costs less than your deposit, the surplus is refundable. The deposit required in this case is $20 per file. See how to send requests and payment (my email address is on that page).
Option 2: I will (for a fee of $3 total for up to 5 surnames) provide a source reference (the record office and its location number for a bundle) so you can do the work yourself. See how to send requests and payment.