A summary of the main additions (but you should also monitor individual pages and my other sites)
25 July 2016
12 July 2016
- Names added to the Interim Index include some from Court records for young women (under 21 years of age) who applied for permission to marry but later changed their mind.
- Updated details for my family history talks and private consultations in North Queensland in early August.
- I am updating my client records. If I have done research for you, or if you are/were on my mailing list, I invite you to contact me to confirm your preferred/alternative email addresses. Use this address (shown as an image): . I also invite expressions of interest in a new edition of my book Tips for Queensland Research.
16 Jun 2016
25 May 2016
- A new edition of UpdatesGenie went online today, with genealogy news for (mainly) Australia, Ireland, Canada, Scotland and the USA. Topics include cheaper certificates, new indexes, genealogical proof, census, wills, passports, naturalisations, surnames, etc.
- For many of the Qld State Archives records that I've indexed (see www.judywebster.com.au/other.html), I've reduced my fees for supplying copies of the original documents. I've also changed the wording in the 'Copying Service' section on some pages to make it easier to see how to order copies.
- More names added from my index to headstones on graves in Eulo cemetery.
- New page created, listing over 500 mental asylum patients whose surnames begin with 'R'.
- A few extra names were added to lists of mental asylum patients with 'D' and 'H' surnames. Links to those lists are on the page mentioned above.
- More names added from Police Gazettes, including some very unusual names.
- 1,132 names were added to Photos and Sketches of People (from records in Archives, where each photo is accompanied by biographical or background details that are superb for family history).
6 Oct 2015
18 May 2015
- Missing Friends records: Almost 200 more names were added to this list today. It includes people sought (for many reasons) by relatives or friends; runaway children; eloping daughters; wife/child deserters; absconders from reformatories or from employment; missing beneficiaries of wills; suspected bigamists; etc. The records have historical background, biographical details and/or physical descriptions. Most give the enquirer's name/address, and many say when/where the subject was found or last seen. Superb for family history!
9 Apr 2015
- My Web site is best viewed on a laptop or desktop computer; but I've made some changes to comply with Google's new 'mobile-friendly' requirements. I had to remove the top search box, but a link ('Search this site') at the top left of most pages now leads to a search box plus important tips.
- Names recently added to my Interim List include some for witnesses at inquests. The original records include a signed deposition in which the witness explains his/her involvement.
11 Mar 2015
2 Sep 2014
- I am in the process of indexing 3 more sources for Queensland mental asylum patients. One includes people suspected of being mentally ill although they were not sent to an asylum. When I've indexed the new sources, links will be added to www.judywebster.com.au/other.html.
- Almost every day I share quick genealogy tips and links on my 'JudyQld' page. If a small pop-up window invites you to sign in, just close that and read the main page.
20 July 2014
- There has been a huge amount of interest in my latest article, 'Use FreeBMD postems to find new relatives'. It describes a simple strategy that has worked for me, so if any of your relatives were born, married or died in England or Wales from 1837 onwards, it may work for you too.
7 Jun 2014
16 Feb 2014
8 Dec 2013
- 'Links' page updated with new recommendations.
- I can now deliver some clients' research reports or document copies online via Dropbox.
17 Oct 2013
29 Sep 2013
- Suggested Reading: I created a new Web page listing books / eBooks including genealogy guides, social histories and other background reading for family historians, and genealogical crime mysteries (fiction).
- Genealogy updates by email: A technical fault may mean that you are not receiving these now. To check, enter your address at 'Receive Updates' on UpdatesGenie (which replaced my newsletter) and 'Follow by email' on UK / Australia Genealogy, then 'submit' and follow instructions on the screen. New material was recently added to both sites.
- Pages changed: New information is on pages about hospital admission records and Police watchhouse records.
18 July 2013
- This site has had a makeover, and it has been expanded to 135 pages (plus my family tree). Note the 'Other suggestions' section near the bottom of many pages. Read the new site navigation tips.
- My Web site has been at www.judywebster.com.au (my own domain name) for more than a year, so the old site will cease to exist tomorrow. Please update your bookmarks and fix your ChangeDetection settings now!
- If you have a Web site or blog that links to my site, update those links so that your visitors do not get a 'page not found' error message.
- I recently added new material to 'Frequently Asked Questions'.
5 July 2013
1 Jun 2013
- My article 'The Case of the False Identity', published in Inside History magazine, will have you looking at 19th century passenger lists in a new light.
- Queensland Research Tips page has been updated with links to some immigration and electoral roll indexes that are now on the Internet.
22 Apr 2013
23 Aug 2012
- My 'Queensland Genealogy' blog now has a section (in the sidebar) called 'Categories' (BDMs, Hidden treasures, Indexes, People (names), Places, Sources, Tips, Warnings, Websites). Click a category to see a page with all posts on that topic. See also the complete list of keywords at the bottom of that page.
- Names recently added to my Interim List are for witnesses at inquests. The original records include a signed deposition in which the witness explains his/her involvement.
- Articles and tips that I have published on the Internet include:
- Updates Genie has now completely replaced my Newsflash page. It allows you to read my news on the Internet, or receive it by email, or subscribe to an RSS feed - all free of charge. Updates Genie will have genealogy news and tips from all over the world (Queensland, other Australian States, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, USA etc.) You will find out about indexes, Web sites, books, CDs, podcasts, record offices, research techniques, discounts and freebies, events such as family history fairs, seminars and conferences, and lots more. There will also be links to longer articles that I publish elsewhere on the Internet.
- Last year I assumed the role of carer for my father so that he could continue to live in his own home. Sadly, he passed away a few months ago. I am slowly working my way through a backlog of research requests, although I am still looking after Dad's rural property part-time. Large attachments cause serious problems when I am away, so please check with me before sending email attachments.
- Do you know Maria JONES? She sent a payment but did not tell me her postal or email address.