Suggested Reading (Genealogy and History)
I've read many of these books, and the others are recommended by friends and colleagues. Within each category - 'Family History and Genealogy', 'Historical Background for Family Historians' and 'Genealogical crime mysteries (fiction)' - titles are arranged by author's surname. Links open in a new window. Most titles are available from The Book Depository (my favourite online bookshop, with free shipping worldwide). A few may be available only as secondhand copies via Abe Books.
Family History and Genealogy
- The Family Tree Polish, Czech and Slovak Genealogy Guide: How to Trace Your Family Tree in Eastern Europe (Lisa Alzo).
- The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy, 2nd edition, 2019 (Blaine T. Bettinger). [This plain-English guide explains what DNA tests are available (with up-to-date pros and cons of the major testing companies), how to interpret DNA test results and ethnicity, and how to use third-party tools to analyse your data.]
- Tracing Your Insolvent Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians (Paul Blake). [Very detailed, so not a book for beginners.]
- Tracing Your East End Ancestors (Jane Cox).
- Tracing Your Welsh Ancestors (Beryl Evans).
- Tracing Your Irish Ancestors, revised 5th edition, 2019 (John Grenham).
- Unofficial Guide to Ancestry.com: How to Find Your Family History, 2nd edition, 2018 (Nancy Hendrickson).
- Ancestral Trails: The Complete Guide to British Genealogy and Family History, 2nd edition (Mark D. Herber).
- Tracing Your Ancestors Through Death Records: A Guide for Family Historians, 2nd revised edition (Celia Heritage).
- Tracing Your Servant Ancestors (Michelle Higgs).
- (NEW) A Guide to Tracing Your Family History Using the Census, published 2020 (Emma Jolly). [Censuses in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are all examined and the differences explained. Particular emphasis is placed on the rapidly expanding number of websites that offer census information.]
- Tracing Your British Indian Ancestors (Emma Jolly).
- Family History for Kids (Emma Jolly & David Popey).
- (NEW) Unofficial Guide to FamilySearch.org: How to Find Your Family History on the World's Largest Free Genealogy Website, 2nd edition, 2020 (Dana McCullough).
- Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet: A Guide for Family Historians, 2nd edition, 2019 (Chris Paton).
- (NEW) Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet: A Guide for Family Historians, published 2020 (Chris Paton).
- Marriage Law for Genealogists, revised 2nd edition (Rebecca Probert). ["An indispensable guide for tracing marriages of English and Welsh ancestors between 1600 and the twentieth century."]
- Advanced Genetic Genealogy, published 2019 (Debbie Parker Wayne). [For intermediate and advanced researchers. If you're a beginner, start with The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy.]
- Tracing Your Lancashire Ancestors (Sue Wilkes).
- Tracing Your Georgian Ancestors: A Guide for Family and Local Historians (John Wintrip).
- Tracing Your Pre-Victorian Ancestors: A Guide to Research Methods for Family Historians (John Wintrip).
Historical Background for Family Historians
Genealogical crime mysteries (fiction)